International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) Hair Restoration Statistics and Numbers from 2012
Hair Restoration Stats and Trends
When you are considering hair restoration surgery, it is important for consumers to be informed about the actual statistics in the industry. The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) recently published numbers concerning the current trends and procedures performed in from to 2000 to 2012. There are over 1000 physicians who are members of this society and approximately 21% of these physicians enrolled in a recent survey to allow an extrapolation of actual numbers of procedures performed. The numbers that are listed below were obtained from the recent 2013 Practice Census Results which are found on the society website, www.ishrs.org:
- An estimated 90,000 cases of hair transplant surgery were performed in the United States in 2012 and approximately 310,000 were completed worldwide. Though the United States makes up a large bulk of the hair restoration procedures performed in the world, Asia topped the overall ranking with over 100,000 cases of hair replacement procedures performed. There was actually a 15% decrease in the number of hair restoration cases performed in the United States in 2012 compared to 2010, while there was a 10% increase in Asian countries. Middle Eastern countries had a 34% increase in the same time period, with approximately 35,000 cases performed in 2012.
- The percent of hair restoration surgical transplant patients included 86.3% male and 13.7% female while nonsurgical hair restoration patients included 66.8% male and 33.2% female. The mean (or average) age of the patients was 48, with the majority ranging between 35 and 49, although roughly 35% were between the ages of 50 and 65. Less than 5% are older than 65.
- In classifying which type of surgical hair restoration procedure was performed, over 67.5% were performed using the Linear Strip Harvest, also known as Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT), while 32.2% were completed using Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE). You can read more about North Atlanta’s Hair Restorations FUE service, as well as view sour video over views on our “Services page” on our corporate website.
- Over 92% of hair restoration surgical procedures were completed to the scalp, with 4.5% to the eyebrows and 1.5% to the face including mustache and beard. Other areas included transplant to the chest and eyelashes were less than 1% of procedures performed.
- The average number of hair replacement grafts performed per procedure was approximately 2000 grafts per session, with 65% of patients receiving one procedure and 30% a second procedure. The majority of patients who underwent hair restoration surgery possessed androgenic alopecia in 86% of cases and the average age for first time hair transplant patients was 38. The most common complaints following hair transplant surgery included – density less than expected at 64%, postoperative shedding at 40%, pain after the procedure at 20% and not looking natural enough less than 3%.
The majority of physician respondents felt that hair follicle cloning and tissue engineering was likely the next greatest technological progression in the hair restoration industry, while 36% felt that the FUE follicular unit extraction procedure represented the greatest leap forward. The fact is that hair restoration surgery has made incredible improvements over the past decade and continues to provide more and more people with excellent results.
To learn how we can help you with your hair replacement and hair restoration needs, please visit our corporate website to set up an appointment.
Dr. Daniel A. Danyo is the founder and medical director of North Atlanta Hair Restoration, specializing in treating hair loss in both men and women. He is one of only 300 people in the world certified by the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery.
He is a member of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons, American Hair Loss Association, and The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery.
He is also an early adopter and pioneer of Shave-less FUE, one of the most discreet surgical procedures available for hair restoration. Dr. Danyo performs every procedure himself, from start to finish. He individually extracts and places every graft on every patient. Learn more about Dr. Danyo on his Meet Dr. Danyo page.