Almost everyone, whether a man or a woman, longs after a head full of healthy, shiny, touchable hair. Unfortunately, it is estimated that millions of men and women will experience some form of hair loss in their lifetime.
Hair loss occurs for a variety of reasons including hormonal imbalances or changes, age, a drastic shift in diet or weight, certain medications, extreme stress, and heredity. The most common type of hair loss is male or female-pattern baldness. A less known cause of hair loss is traction hair loss.
What is Traction Hair Loss?
Traction hair loss, technically known as Traction Alopecia, is the gradual loss of hair due to persistent friction or tugging on the roots.
What Causes Traction Alopecia?
Traction Alopecia can result from a variety of causes that place too much traction on the hair such as certain hairstyles, how a purse is worn, and more. It is more common in groups of people that are typically required to wear their hair pulled back such as gymnasts, ballerinas, and military members.
See below for a few of the common habits that can potentially lead to hair loss due to traction:
- Too-tight hairstyles: Ballerina buns, the trendy ‘man-bun’, extremely tight ponytails or braids, dreadlocks, extensions, weaves
- Nervous habit: Pulling, twisting, or tugging hair if you are anxious or stressed
- Helmets: Tight, restrictive helmets can cause friction on the hair when worn for long periods
- Purses: Wearing a purse strap that overlaps your hair on your shoulder
How to Prevent Traction Alopecia
To prevent Traction Alopecia, consider the following recommendations:
- Consider wearing your hair down more and if you do choose to pull it back, make sure the style is still somewhat loose
- Eliminate hair twirling as a source of stress relief – try a stress ball, yoga, or other distractions instead
- Before wearing your purse, move your hair away from the strap
If you suffer from traction hair loss, you may be a candidate for hair restoration. Potential medical and surgical treatments include hair transplant, Platelet Rich Plasma injection therapy and Laser Light. We would love to speak with you about your options and possibilities. Call now, or click our booking button, to schedule your free consultation.
Book an Appointment
All consultations are done by Dr. Danyo personally. You will never be passed on to medical techs.