Hair comes in many textures and colors, but everyone’s hair is made up of the same exact stuff. Our hair is made from a fibrous protein called keratin. This protein is also what makes up the structure for the outer layer of human skin. Its essential function is to protect cells from damage. Using harmful chemicals on your hair can cause permanent damage to the keratin. This is why an overuse of chemical products results in depleted-looking hair.
How Hair Is Attached to the Skin
An individual piece of hair is attached to the skin with something called a follicle. The follicle is a collection of cells and connective tissues that hold the root of a hair inside a layer of skin. Surrounding the follicle are sebaceous glands. These glands secrete oils that help the skin around the hair absorb water. They also help the follicle stay in place.
Why Hair Loss Happens
Hair loss can happen for many different reasons. However, it is typically determined by your genetic makeup and when your parents began losing their hair. It most often has to do with your hair follicles and their ability to grow and hold in hair over time. As follicles age, they become less capable of growing new hair cells. This is a normal thing for all animals to experience.
Other reasons this can occur:
- Infection and/or Inflammation
- Medications (some drugs can cause hair loss)
- Pregnancy (many women experience changes in their hair during and after their pregnancy terms)
You can pamper your hair is by making small changes in your diet. “You are what you eat” and the foods you eat can affect your hair growth. Here are some foods you should work into your meals if you want healthier hair:
- Spinach – contains the fat ‘sebum’ which is a natural conditioner for hair.
- Yogurt – contains vitamin B7 that helps restore hair follicles.
- Walnuts – another good source of vitamin B7. It also contains magnesium which helps hair cuticles grow.
- Oats – has the mineral silica which helps strengthen hair cells.
- Citrus fruits – the vitamin C found in citrus helps the body absorb iron which in turn strengthens the hair follicles.
If your hair isn’t as thick as you would like, we can help. You can be evaluated by a medical doctor, for free. Give us a call, or use our 24/7 booking app, now.
Book an Appointment Today!
All consultations are done by Dr. Danyo personally. You will never be passed on to medical techs.